In May of 1957, Good Shepherd officially opened its doors. The fist pastor, Rev. Sid Nelson, was tasked with naming the new building. He reasoned that if people wanted to find a Lutheran church, they would look in the phone book under Lutheran, rather than look for a specific church name. And so, Lutheran Church of the Good Shepherd was born.
The location was carefully chosen because at the time of construction, the area was one of the fastest growing areas of Lethbridge. Houses were being built in this suburb so soon schools and businesses and families would follow. And they did. The initial part of the church was designed and constructed with the idea that after a time, the first phase would become the recreational area of the church while a new sanctuary would adjoin it to the east. A different path was taken, though.
The sanctuary was expanded, and a new place of welcome, offices, meeting areas, and washrooms were added in 1985. A second expansion later created a new accessible rear entrance and elevator.
In 1986 Good Shepherd joined the newly formed ELCIC organization (a combination of the ELCC and LCA) and has been actively engaged in the ELCIC ever since.
We have been blessed to have been served by faith-filled, wonderful pastors over the years.
Rev. Sid Nelson, 1956 - 1960
Rev. John Lokken, 1960 – 1965
Rev. Harold Hesje, 1965 – 1968
Rev. Albert Pastor Olson, 1969 – 1973
Rev. Wally Gartke, 1973 – 1985
Rev Phil Jorgensen, 1985 – 1992
Rev Larry Kochendorfer, 1993 – 2002
Rev. Kevin Powell, 2003 -2012
Rev. Tom Peterson, 2012 - 2017
Rev. Andrew Horne, interim, 2017-2018
Our upper floor sanctuary comfortably seats 150 and the chairs can easily accommodate various configurations. The worship space was recently updated with a new decor, configuration, furnishings, and sound system. A childcare space off the sanctuary is availablel for families with young children who wish to use it.
An upper fireplace room provides space for small groups to meet. A second fireplace room on the lower level serves as a multipurpose room for coffee fellowship, meetings, and activities. Our basement features a large open area for Sunday School activities and newly renovated kitchen.
All levels are fully accessible by elevator, which is easily located through the parking lot door at the back of the church. The front entrance has both stairs and an exterior ramp. The two main floor washrooms are fully accessible; they are also equipped with childcare change stations.